Trap Shooting

Avery Smith, Contributor

Trap Shooting

The Northeast Iowa Shooting Team has been around for about two years. It was started by MFL MarMac in 2016 and was joined by Waukon in the 2017 season. This is the team’s third year shooting. In its first year, the team placed 28th out of 78 at state for JV. In its second year, they placed 43rd out of 115 teams at state and 33rd out 85 for JV.

Tuesday’s and Sunday’s from September 1st to August 31st the team drives up to the Allamakee Sportsman Club in Waukon to practice. “Practice is really easy,” says Austin Ruff, one of the top four shooters on the team from MFL MarMac, along with Derrick Wiemerslage, (Waukon) Haley Thesing, (Waukon) and Derek Larson (MFL MarMac). “At practice, the students learn hand-eye coordination and meet new people,” said Head Coach Joe Milewsky. “I know that Jim Ruff and Andy Thesing, who are the assistant coaches on the team, have said they enjoy working with the kids.”

Austin Ruff comments sarcastically, “The coaches are sometimes helpful.”  A usual practice consists of the coaches giving safety rules and announcements then shooting. Some practices will get out of routine and continue with a game like Knock out. When Austin Ruff was asked if he got nervous at meets he said, “Heck no it’s so easy, I walk up to the shooting stand load a shell, pull up, swing, and shoot.”

“It’s been an eye-opener, working with the kids and passing on the knowledge and the enjoyment of shooting clay pigeons,” says trap shooting coach, Joe Milewsky.