Students Come Together to Share Musical Talents

Brooklyn Landt, Contributor

On Monday, October 9, MFL MarMac hosted the annual UIC Vocal Festival. MFL MarMac students and staff welcomed the students and directors from Clayton Ridge, Kee High, Central, and Starmont High School at 2 o’clock on Monday afternoon. The students worked prior to Monday on the five songs the whole group sang together with their director before the concert on Monday night. The songs were chosen by the directors and truly spoke out to the students this year. Joe Dodgen, a junior member of MFL MarMac’s choir explains, “I think it overall went very well, and I really enjoyed the songs we sang this year compared to last year.”

In addition to the whole group’s performance, each school brought their own song to share with the audience. Clayton Ridge performed a song called “Imagine” by John Lennon.  Central shared a song called “Cloths of Heaven” by Randall Stroope as well as Kee High and Starmont performing together to the song  “River in Judea” by John Leavitt. MFL MarMac wrapped up the individual performances with a song called “Connected” by Brian Tate which the students enjoyed immensely.

Following the individual performances, all of the students gathered on the bleachers and shared their talents with the audience singing the songs called “Dry Bones” by Mark Hayes, “Requiem” by Craig Hella Johnson, “Beyond the Rain and Rivers” by Douglas E. Wagner, “Ballad of Sweeney Todd” by Andy Beck, and finishing the concert with the student’s favorite song called “Music Lead the Way” by Laura Farnell .

Choir director Ms. Jaydeane Berns says, “I truly thought the music was performed very well and there was a nice variety of music. I also believe the students related to the music this year, which improved the performance!”